Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Climbing a Mountain

So I'm still making my way through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and I'm currently at a scene where the narrator and his son are climbing a mountain. The narrator is talking about another person that climbed the mountain, both in reality and in a figurative sense in a search for meaning.

So do you have mountains that are waiting to be climbed? Are you just sitting at the foot of the mountain listening to the stories of those few that were strong enough to go up? Your mountain may be taking that next step in your career or writing that book that you've always thought about.

A few years ago while in Japan I had the opportunity to climb Mt Fuji. It was a bit of a challenge, but I made it up, and it was worth the trip. Having made it to the top, my advice is to stop staring at your mountains and start climbing.

No comments: