Monday, January 19, 2009

When you cook...cook!

This phrase is a Buddhist directive focusing on being in the present moment and thinking about what you are doing. I like it because I like to cook. When I cook, I really focus on what I'm doing, trying to get all the details just right. It's a way for me to unwind after a long day.

We should have the same level of focus on our projects as well. How often do you find yourself drifting off during a meeting, thinking about some other task, checking your Blackberry or email?

Well, stop it!

If you're in a meeting and not paying attention, either you don't need to be at the meeting, or you should be paying attention but your distracted. So either walk out, or take a deep breath and focus on what's going on in front of you. Put away the Blackberry. Leave the computer at your desk. Be present in the meeting. Maybe you'll hear something you need to know.

No comments: