Friday, October 10, 2008

Luck and Effort

Seth Godin had an interesting post on his blog the other day. It made me think of a saying my daughter taught me, "The harder I work, the luckier I get!"

In the post, he recommends eliminated 120 minutes/day of spare time in our life, time wasted watching TV, commuting, or going to meetings. He provides a list of things to use that 120 minutes for that can help us be more successful.

Most of us probably don't think we have 120 spare minutes in our day. We're already overworked, multi-tasking, and sleep deprived. But are we working on the right things? Do you need to spend 45 minutes on the weekly status report that will only be skimmed over by the recipients? Will anyone notice if you just spend 25 minutes on it? Can you send someone else to the hour long meeting and have them give you a 5 minute synopsis later? Haven't you seen that episode of Law and Order before?

I'm pretty diligent when it comes to exercise, because I make that a priority. Any of us can do the things that are really important as long as we put them on the top of our to-do list.

1 comment:

Times Shall said...

Bob,

Thanks for posting this. Seth Godin is very inspiring. Can't wait to read his new book Tribes.

Now (rolling up sleeves) where to find those missing 120 minutes...

Alec